Sunday, August 5, 2007

Valerie Yamulla

This past Friday, I did a random search on the Web just to confirm what I heard on Wednesday was, in fact, wrong. Sadly, it wasn’t. Once a small, black and white picture appeared on a page from my friend Symeon, I gasped, said “No” a lot, closed my office door and started crying. Valerie was gone.

I felt a whole piece of my teenage years ripped from me. Valerie was my reality in my mid to late high school years. One of two friends that stuck by me everyday. The three of us had lunch in a little corner of the lunch room at school because everyone hated us. We didn’t have a whole table, just a part of one close to the lunchroom doors. We talked about everything. It was me, Maryellen and Valerie in high school. We walked together down the hall whenever we could because it was a form of protection. Now, one of us is missing forever.

It’s odd, but I feel like a part of Valerie herself is part of me right now. Like she left her body and took refuge somewhere safe. She may or may not have known it but she has a lot of people she left behind to stay at. She’ll always have a home in me. I don’t mind. She can stay as long as she wants to.

4 comments:

Pippi said...

Like she left her body and took refuge somewhere safe.

Yep.

I got some pics from Sandy, if I can manage good scans (the pics are scans themselves) I'll put them up. If not, I'll email you the files.

Much love
XXOO!

Sleepy-Nerdboy said...

I used to know Valerie back in the late 80s. I was scanning some old papers and came across her address. A brief search found that she had passed. My heart sunk.

She was a wonderful free spirit and I do and will miss her dearly.

Alex Kane

Alec Sarkas said...

I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Alex. I have so many good memories of her. She made such an impression on me. I think about a lot during my good times. Life is short, we gotta live it well!

Beyond Pairadice said...

I too had just found out and flew from vegas to visit her grave site in drums last evening. I knew Symeon and took her to prom in the 80's. I knew Valerie very well and was very upset when finding out this horrible news. after moving around many times in the nineties, I lost all of my photos of Valerie and most posessions from my youth, but will never forget the memories we had and shared together.